Silent Hill 2: Strangers in the Night
Entering and Leaving Silent Hill:
- Whatever happened in Silent Hill, it destroyed many of the ways leading into town. The major county highway sunk in. Many other roadways were replaced with gaping chasms that are practically impossible to cross.
- Some foot-trails remain, as well as a couple of small roadways. Those roadways afford little help, however, since vehicles one and all break down upon entering town limits. No perceivable failure of any variety will be evident to those who know where and how to look. It is like the car was just flipped off altogether, but won’t be flipped back on.
- People never have much trouble getting into Silent Hill. Getting out proves to be far more difficult. Once travelers have entered the town, the town enforces their stay. When they return to the roadway they used, they find it blocked off by a pile of junked vehicles. If they retry the footpath from earlier, they will find a sink hole has opened up underneath it, making it impossible to cross.
- The paths inside the town suffer from some of the same strangeness that the exits do. Fair amounts of roads, for instance, are blocked by walls 30 feet high, covered in drop cloth. Some roads just stop, dropping off into chasms. Others are blocked with ambulances, trucks, even police blockades. Some of these obstacles can be overcome, but it would seem that the town has certain courses in mind for its guests. This principle applies even to the interior of buildings, as some doors’ locks are broken beyond repair, or some doorways are blocked by piled gurneys, a collapsed ceiling, or any of a variety of barrier.
- Perhaps the oddest obstacles that manifest repeatedly throughout Silent Hill are puzzles. These puzzles take a variety of forms, from throwing simple switches, to basic logic puzzles, to advanced puzzles that require knowledge of things such as the occult. Who placed the puzzles is unclear.
- By working their way around the town’s roadblocks, the travelers have the chance to resolve the goal which brought them to the town. This goal is not determined by the traveler. The goal is determined by Silent Hill. Once that goal is achieved, all the ways out of town open up. The sink holes fill back in. Junked cars clear themselves from outgoing roads. Vehicles work again. All that remains to be done at that point is to leave.